Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Getting ready for the Chickens

I've been reclaiming Dad's old chicken house. It's really a roofed area attached to the barn; half dirt floor and half concrete and walls on 3 sides. There are 6 nesting boxes and places to roost. It had been given over to storage. I moved that stuff during the past winter. The only thing left is fencing in an area in the field outside of the chicken house so they can ramble and not be subject to wandering canines. Today I did the finishing touches: cleaning and sweeping. I removed the old straw from the nesting boxes and put in new. In two of the boxes I discovered gnawed bones of some 4 legged creatures.  I asked Dad if he raised carnivorous chickens. He claimed it had to be a possum or some other interloper.

The chickens are on the way. Thanks to Dancing Creek Farm for providing a couple of hens and a lovely rooster.  They'll be here Friday. Next Tuesday I'm visiting Gregory Farms near Stuart and going hen shopping.  By the end of next week I'm hoping for a Tuggle Farms' omelette.